V&E?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FamilyOfChickens, Jul 10, 2007.

1. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Stupid question. Are you ready?Can vitamins and electrolytes be in laying hen's water? I need an answer ASAP. [​IMG]

edited to add: how much per gallon?

I don't want to hurt them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    It can be in *any* animals water. Just follow directions on the bag (there's no such thing as a dearth of vitamins and especially electrolytes during hot weather).

3. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    That's what I thought. Like I said, 'stupid question'. [​IMG]

Sorry 'bout that.

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, I think the amunt was discussed here before. And if I remember correctly, the dose is 1/2 teaspoon to one gallon of water. And it is possible to give them too many vitamins-just like a human. So be very careful in not overdosing. You may want to do a search here to make sure of the dosage, but I am pretty sure it is the 1/2 teaspoon.
    Best wishes [​IMG]

5. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Whew. Thanks a lot! The directions on the package were only for like 55 gallons, so I was pretty worried. I put, I think, a quarter teaspoon in one of their waterers, and a 1/2 in the big girl's.

My dad wasn't happy that I did that, however. Will it throw them off track if we're going on vacation and they won't be getting the vitamins and electrolytes while we're gone? I don't see how that could happen, but my dad's kooky. ( [​IMG] )
    I read the v/e is supposed to help them with the heat.

6. fowlweatherfriends

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    DLHUNICORN quote:
    using electrlytes other than when there is a definate sign of dehydration is not a good idea...it will produce a syndrome equivalent to salt poisoning ...

Check this thread out asap! You only want to give v&e in limited amounts and limited cases. Please take a few mins to read the thread-I think it will help alot [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2439

7. fowlweatherfriends

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    From the same thread robin614 said
    In the future don't use the electrolytes in the water "just because." The body, us included, has a balance that when all systems are working properly keeps our electrolytes in balance. When they are out of whack whether from a cardiac episode, extreme illness or as you just found out over dose it can be a death sentence. They should not be given as a routine part of the bird's maintenance.

Your best bet about vacation and the heat is to make sure to offer them plenty of fresh water, shade, and if you can, fans. I have an automatic waterer that will replace the drinking water the birds consume automatically from the hose.

Hope all goes well.​

8. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Whew. My dad was right on, then, I guess. Maybe I should listen to those doctors more often. [​IMG] Good thing I changed out the water before they got any more than a sip or two. [​IMG] Thanks for warning me, guys!!!!! [​IMG] *scurries away to devour thread*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by