Va-Cow or Goat hay available-Sold

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by EggCentric, May 27, 2008.

1. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    We have 35 bales of cow or goat(or chicken) quality hay for sale, 3.00 per bale. Orchard grass, 60 lb bales. Not suitable for horses. We are about an hour southwest of Richmond.

Email me, please no PM's.

foalfan at yahoo dot com

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    Just a question from someone that doesn't have a horse or goat, what is orchard grass and why can horses eat it?

3. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Sometimes hay goes moldy (not saying that's what happened here as I don't know) and can't be eaten by horses as they don't have the same stomach processing as cows and goats. It's not really good for a dairy animal if it's moldy though, but if it was moldy (if that was the case), it'd be ok for cattle or bore goats.

Stacy

4. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Orchard grass is just a type of grass, and yes, horses can't eat this batch because it was baled too soon and got mold.

5. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Then why can a goat eat it? Our horses get worse hay than our goats do. If it isn't good enough for a horse than it certainly IS NOT good enough for a goat. I guess you don't have goats because if you did you would know that only the best can do for a goat. I goat will get just as sick as a horse from eating mold. Not sure about cattle, but goats need mold free hay. I have dairy goats, not boers [​IMG] , but they need good hay!!!!!!!!!! Sorry if I was being mean.
    Ashlyn

6. hazelton farms

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    I believe goats and cattle are more picky around the hay than horses are.... from my own animals here and from what I've read, my goats and my cattle wouldn't pick up and eat anything they didn't like or find suitable..so if given a bale of hay with a bit of mold, mine would pick around it and not eat that part. I don't have horses, so I don't know what the answer is for them, but maybe they don't know how to pick around the mold.

I don't believe the seller of this hay was offering anything unusal. I see this type of hay offered all the time. I would suppose it's better than it being completely wasted.

Stacy

7. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
  8. hazelton farms

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Well, she did say a couple of times that it wasn't for horses, so I don't think that's what was meant here?

Pretty sure the seller of this hay knew what she was talking about when she offered it for cattle or goats. You just have to be careful as the buyer about what you're looking for. I'd hate to see EggCentric being slammed when she was being perfectly honest about what's being sold.

With hay just starting to be brought in, it's definately a wide expanse of space to learn! What kind of hay for this type of animal or another, moldy or not, etc. Maybe a 'hay thread' could be started as a topic in another area of the forum and we could all learn what we need to know about hay. I'm sure we have some very knowledgeable cow and horse owners here.

Stacy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by