Va Snow

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bigchrisb1985, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    I was wondering if others in central Va are ready for the coming snow? I just checked WSET and it states we could get well over A foot. What will my chickens think as it will be there first snow and it is suppose to be so much of it. I can hear them hallering already

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

SWVA checking in...

We've battened down the hatches and we're ready for it... but we hope it doesnt come...

3. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    If we get as much as they are calling for and the temps stay low enough we might have a white Chirstmas this year. Expecialy since they are calling for snow again before Christmas

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I'm wanting it to snow, but I may have to dig out chickens..LOL we haven't had a big snow since 95 I'm ready!!

5. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    Lord dont say that i will be up your way tomorrow and i would like to come back home on sunday which not 2 sundays from now just 3 day away sunday

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL Jbowen -- well some of us around here could probably put you up until they get the roads plowed. We're thinking we're ready, but don't know for sure. Hate snow, prefer it to rain -- a foot of snow won't make the creek rise like a foot of rain. P.S. Need a pair of baby mini-rex bunnies? Got new ones a the NC poultry show...

7. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    hey what colorare they but i tell ya what i need is a mille fleur d'uccle rooster mine died of old age or froze last night but i say old age he was around 8 or 9 year old

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Lynchburg area here.

I had a rare opportunity to have all 3 of my kids babysat for a Parent's Day out at our church on Saturday, so I could get some much needed shopping done and now it looks like that might get cancelled. [​IMG]

I don't really mind the snow itself...just bought a truckload of wood for the woodstove today, so we'll be toasty. I'll need to rig up the heat lamp out in the coop to keep the water bucket thawed, but that's not a big job.

9. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Wish I could plug up a heat lamp. I'll have to go out and break ice in 10+ pens as usual....Oh how I love cold weather..LOL

10. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Charlottesville here -- I'm skeptical that we'll really get much, seems like every time we get our hopes up the snow fizzles and we end up with just a couple of inches or ice. The kids are hopeful though! Our hens had their first snow 2 weeks ago. They're in an A-frame tractor, and the snow was so wet that it stuck to the sides of the hardware cloth and none of it actually got into the run. The girls were probably wondering who put out the lights, it was dark in there! But at least it was dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by