Vacation Advice needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kizanne, Oct 1, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I will be leaving for about a week in Nov. I have an automatic feeder and waterer which will keep them fed and watered.

THey are laying 9 to 10 eggs a day I have 8 nest boxes for 11 chickens. If I don't have someone come and collect the eggs what are the odds they'll start eating them.

I was planning on having someone come over once during about 3 days in to collect eggs. But don't think I'll be able to have someone come each day.

I know it depends of the chickens, but I'd like advice from those who have went on vacation.

I have some barred rock mixes, EE mixes, production reds and a speckled sussex.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Murphy's Law. There's no way I'd leave any animal without checking on them everyday. The eggs should be collected everyday. I would hire someone to come check on them. I usually tell the person checking on them that they can have the eggs extra incentive. You never know when something will go wrong.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I have my critters checked once a day when I'm gone. I don't like to leave eggs in a coop overnight as their presence will attract predators.

4. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    The going rate around here is 20/day for pet sitting. I'll not be paying that. I have what I hope to be a predator proof run. Chain line with hardware cloth. I'm trying to figure out if I'll come home to egg eating, broody, or 70 eggs that have to pass the float test.

I'd really appreciate any comments from people who for what ever reason haven't been able to collect eggs for a few days and what happened. I know with free rangers this happens sometimes by accident and they find a whole next of eggs. But mine will be confined with about 6 sq of coop space/chicken and about 20 sq/bird of run so there will be some boardem.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, we went on vacation for a week this summer. A friend of my oldest son came and stayed at our house for the week and took care of all our animals. BUT, I forgot to tell him to collect the eggs![​IMG] I came home to a ton of eggs and several broody hens. I let 3 of the hens sit on the eggs----but there were WAY too many eggs for them. I ended up with 10 making it to hatch. I would have used the eggs for food, but I have roos and knew they could all be developing, so chose to go the other route. I don't think you need to worry about the hens eating the eggs as long as they have plenty of food availble-----but some of the eggs might be poopy. [​IMG]

6. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    I am lucky to have a friend/chicken owner/ neighbor who would check the coop daily for me.

Lynne [​IMG]

7. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    If i still lived in fl i would do it !!! what about a neighbor? tell them they can keep the eggs for collecting them, maybe you can find someone in your area on the fl thread in the "where are you thread?", that can do it.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    make sure the mechanical stuff is working right and what to do in case of 'misfire'
    good luck, I'm sure I will need it too when I go on vacay...

I'll let you know when I drive by there - I'll check on them for you!! (just kidding!!!)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    First off I would not leave the chickens or eggs for a more than a day unattended. There is a list of things that could possibly go wrong all of them bad. There are avenues you can explore in regards to your situation.

1) Check out the "chicken sitting thread" on this site,maybe someone here is close by and can look after them.

2)Check to see if there are any 4H clubs in your area. Those clubs usually have kids with chickens or a kid thats new to the club and looking to get into them. $$ and eggs are a good incentive. All 4H kids are good kids(got 3 of them) and are very dedicated to the animals.

3)Also check to see if there is a FFA (Future Farmers of America)club in your area as well.

4) Boy Scouts troop,maybe get a couple kids to do it and make a donation to the troop as well as eggs.

5) Don't go on vacation if all else fails.[​IMG]

10. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Quote:Thank you for your helpful on topic response. I don't mind a few broody's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by