Vacation and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bama chick, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Bama chick

Bama chick In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2007
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Hi everyone! What do you do with your chickens when you go on vacation? We had a pet sitter the last time but he said he would NEVER do that again! It was during a heat wave and I think he worried about them too much. Now we have no one to take care of our birds. I was wondering what everyone else does.
    I'm a new member and this is my second post. I'm learning a lot about chickens from ya'll. Thanks for the information.

2. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I use a pet sitter who comes by once a day and feeds the chickens, collects the eggs, and checks on everyone. She gets $10.00 a day, and all the eggs she wants (she also cares for some of my other critters).
    Was the guy you used familiar with chickens? He might have just been nervous because he didn't know much about them. You might have some luck asking your local farm store if they know anyone. They may even have a bulletin board. Many vet techs also make extra money by pet sitting - give your vet a call.

3. We use a pet sitter as well. Sometimes I ask my one neighbor.

We have four chicks that need to be cared for in Oct. and I asked one of the Mom's at my children's school if she would "chick sit" over the weekend we are going to be gone on.
    She has chickens so that is why I asked her.

4. Bama chick

Bama chick In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2007
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Thanks for replying.
    chickbea: He was familiar with chickens. That is why we asked him to take care of them. They are pets so I think he was afraid of losing them to the terrible heat. I'll take the advice and call my vet (although he knows nothing of chickens!) I may try the county co-op too.

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:can you explain what a vacation is?? Dont htink they have those around here. [​IMG]

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Dh and I can't go anywhere that we are not home that evening. We have too many animals to tend to.

We could never afford a pet sitter, with all the animals we have.
    I have been thinking about starting a pet sitting business. Not so much for dogs & cats, but livestock. Dogs & cats can easily be taken to friends, relatives, and the local vet.
    Can you see someone loading up all their chickens to take to the vet for boarding?????? [​IMG]

I would love to go on a vacation with DH at least once.

Jean

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:would you like to vacation in Elkton?

you would have to be home by dark to lock up the chickens

8. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Man, I wished I lived near texas, I would gladly sit your animals cheap!! I love animals and have a ton of them my self. When I watch animals I usually charge about $5.00 a day.

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    mdbucks
    So where would you go???????????

peeps7
    Wish you were closer, too.

Jean

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  10. Quote:GEEZ!! ONLY $5.00 a day???

Where are you located??

My pet sitter charges $20 a visit!!

Most of our trips we take our dogs and sometimes our parrot if it is a long trip.

This weekend get away in Oct. my DH asked what we were going to do with the four chicks and I told him, "Why we are taking them with us" LOL

He of course did not find it funny!!

Hey our RV ToyHauler does have a "Trailer Trash" decal on it, so why not add the chicks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: