Vacation and chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickPeas, Sep 22, 2009.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    What type of arrangements do you make for your flock when you go out of town?

We have 9 pet chickens and finding someone whose not afraid of the roos is becoming ridiculous. A friend took care of them a couple of weeks ago and it turned into a nightmare. Our pet sitter can do them but won't pick up the roos. [​IMG]

They're hand tamed, used to be picked up and are no problem. You *might* get a nip or a leg thwack from the cochin but other than that, they're a piece of cake! [​IMG]

Anyone in Lincoln County NC that knows of a sitter?

I'm curious to hear what you all do.....
    Thanks!!

Liz

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Depending on how long you'll be gone, you could remove the rooster temporarily, just while you're gone, to a cage if you have one. I have a large, plastic dog carrier that I will use if someone is afraid of the roo(s). Also, I have a horse stall that I've converted to what I call my quarantine pen - I put chicken wire over the top and on the sides where there are gaps in between the wood slats so even a juvenile can't escape, and it can still be used as a horse stall when not being used for chickens.

3. ChickPeas

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    I've got one roo that stays with the girls during the day but he sleeps by himself on the porch in a pet carrier. He's easy and prefers to spend his nights that way.

My other three roos are housed separately. Two have a sleeping box and a 10x10x4 dog kennel with a roof that they stay in. The other roo has the backyard and a sleeping box. The only thing that needs to be done is making sure they get in their box.

They're kind of spoiled and have to have things a certain way or they get panicky. [​IMG]

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    you need someone they are used to.. i have found when strangers come over they aren't as tame till they get used to them..they act totally different with a stranger.. maybe you can find a neighbor teen to come over before taking on the babysitting so they are used to it and know what to expect

5. ChickPeas

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Great idea! That's why I'm hoping I can find a pet sitter whose not afraidn that I can count on. We actually don't have any teen neighbors, though. :-(

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Now you know why we never go anywhere together anymore. No on wants to drive out this far, and the roos are a problem here. Sigh......

Hope you can work something out! [​IMG]

7. ChickPeas

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    Bump..anyone else? I'd love to hear what you do when you go away.

8. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    we went on vacation when the birds were just 6 weeks old. Second night in the big coop. We found a friend of my Ds, who is in FFA, and had chickens too. A little cash for the week, and all was good!

9. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you could post a "help wanted" flyer at the feed store where you buy supplies? I've been thinking of doing that since we travel quite a bit.

Since I have a lot of other animals we always have a friend stay at the house when we're gone, but I'm noticing that there's a distaste around cleaning the chicken coop and when we come home it's somewhat neglected. I believe in cleaning up as much as possible each day because I don't want to deal with smell or flies but I can't seem to convince anyone else to do it my way...

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by