1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vacation and New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DirtDiva, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Magnolia, TEXAS
    My Coop
    Our chicks are due to arrive April 17-19. We'll keep them in the coop/brooder for a 8-9 weeks, then introduce them to the covered run. We'll let them run in the covered run and coop during day, andl be kept in the coop at night. We may be taking a vacation (8 days)in late July, early August, and would have petsitter care for them during our absence. Would chicks be ok to leave in care of petsitter (who has cared for chickens) when they are 3-4 months old? Can't help but be a little worried about leaving them! [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When I leave my dogs and chickens to a petsitter, I leave instructions that are undoubtedly more than the sitter needs, but makes me feel better. If I use a sitter that hasn't been here before, I have them come over and walk them through everything. Plus, you can always call and check in on them. [​IMG]

3. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I do the same thing. Sometimes have them go through all the chores with me a few times before we go. Probably anal but at least it's a relaxing vacation and can try not to be worried the whole time :)

4. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    at 3 months+ I think they will be pretty self sufficient. I would not worry at all.

Jerry

5. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Magnolia, TEXAS
    My Coop
    Thanks for input. I am rather anal about instructions as well so plan to do same with petsitter as I did when she started caring for our cats/dogs.....she gets a 'dissertation' of instructions from me and knows to call me anytime if in doubt about anything. She also stays overnight. Figured the peeps would be ok to leave in hands of petsitter at 3 months of age, but wanted reassurance from the 'eggsperts'. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by