Vacation Care

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Esmeralda, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    Morning! I`m hoping to get some feedback about the idea of being a chicken ``sitter`` while people are on vacation. Is this a service that you would use from someone you do not know? What would your concerns be and what would you think is a fair price to pay for someone to look after your flock while you are away? Thank you in advance for your help with my research.

2. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    If I could afford to go on vacation and needed someone to "chickensit" in my opinion it would b no different than someone coming over to let my dog out so I think....depends onwhere you live but I would charge 30-50 dollars a week. They would need to come over twice a day let them out and feed and water and shut them up at night.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    They get at least $22 a night for dogs around here. If I was running to someone's house twice a day, I certainly wouldn't do it for $30-50/week.
    Less than $10 a day would not cut it. I would consider it for $20/day or more depending on the distance to the place.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a regular chicken sitter, as my job takes hubby and I out of town most weekends. She charges $15 to come out once a day, $22 to come out twice daily. That includes feeding and watering, letting them out in the morning, closing them up at night, and taking care of our one dog and three caged birds. She has to be flexible in the evenings, as the chickens will not put themselves up while it is still daylight, so in the summer she comes out much later in the evening than she does in the winter.

5. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Wow im in the wrong profesion. Im tucked up in the hills of west virginia and I b hard pressed to get more than 50 $ a week around here. Guess it just depends on where u live.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    Thank you all, for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by