"Vacation" from Egg Laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rwgrout, Aug 1, 2014.

1. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    Hi all - here's the short version of a long story[​IMG] A couple years ago I started my "flock" by getting a couple of chickens from someone who was moving and needed to get rid of theirs. I am now the proud owner of 2 beautiful Barred Rocks. Last Fall we were getting an egg a day and then this past winter we were getting about 2-3 eggs a week. I assumed one of our little ladies had stopped laying as the eggs we were getting all looked the same. There are only 2 of us so I was OK with only have 1 producing hen. I knew when Spring rolled around I would start getting an egg a day. Even though we eat a lot of eggs but I'd live with 1 a day until we got a couple more girls. Back around the end of March early April, no more eggs[​IMG] However - I did notice lots of feathers an a bit of a naked neck on one of my girls so I figured "Oh, you must be the one who is still laying" April - No eggs, May - No eggs, June, No eggs. [​IMG] Well, we started with someone else's birds and we had no idea how old they were so I figured they both were "done". SO after we came back from our summer vacation (July 13 - Still no eggs) so we ordered a couple of new hens.

Today is August 1. As of today we have gotten 5 fresh, brand spanking newly laid eggs!!!!! [​IMG]NO we have not gotten our new little hens - SOMEONE has started laying again. Has anyone heard of that? After 4 months of not laying??? Just curious…….

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It sounds like they were molting and have started up again. Where are you located?

3. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    NH - WOW - I didn't realize they took that long to molt. It wasn't a bad molt and the one that had a little naked neck has looked good for weeks now.

Thanks

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A molt can take several months before they start laying again. That is definitely an odd time of year for them to molt. Was there a predator attack, or something that could have freaked them out? Did you check for lice/mites?

5. rwgrout

rwgrout Chirping

Apr 9, 2011
    Yes - I did check for all parasites. We did have to get a huge dead tree cut down right next to their coop but that wasn't done until June - well after they had already stopped laying.

I obviously still have a lot to learn about these fun little girls. This site has always been a great help. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by