Vacation-how to keep chickens safe

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ahwhite, Jun 16, 2016.

1. ahwhite

ahwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Hello! I am leaving for 2.5 days, and am hoping to have my fears quelled! I have 6 10 wk old chickens living in our backyard. They have a coop that is secure, but a run that is not particularly secure, because my partner and I didn't realize exactly how to make it secure until after he bad built it, and we plan to get it up to code but are a little short on cash.

Anyway, we have someone to chicken-sit, but I'm not sure he is going to be around as much as we are usually. He is going to let them out in the morning and lock them up at night for sure. The chickens are in the run while we aren't home at times. I have seen a cat lurking around our driveway the last couple of days, but we have two dogs (one of which I think I heard barking at the cat last night). The dogs are coming with us though, and I'm afraid the cat and other predators will notice that they aren't around and take their chance when the chicks are in the run.

We also have duplex neighbours that I think would be willing to poke around and make their presence known, but I am still worried! Had anyone ever left their chickens locked up in the coop for a couple days, and if so would they be safer that way? Or would they just be angry and take it out on each other? Am I just being too worried?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Cats and 10 week old chickens are not a good combo for sure. What are the dimensions of your coop? A rule of thumb is 4sqft per bird, but since your flock are young, you may be able to get away with a little less.

CT

3. chickens 29

chickens 29 New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Does anyone have a way to ease the passing of an old hen? My sister is having trouble watching the hen slowly suffer, so she is wanting to know if there is a, less emotionally painful way of euthanizing than wringing the neck or chopping the head.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    There are ways that are easier for us, but not necessarily the bird. In my opinion, the most humane way is to quickly ring the neck or sever the head. It's quick (quick is kind). There are other methods that involve gassing the bird, but I don't imagine suffocation is a pleasant way to go. I believe you could skip on over to the meat bird section and find some good threads on euthanasia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by