Vacation with chickens? Ideas?

mychickensneaky

Songster
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Rescue ca
I really want to go somewhere this fall that last a whole week. My mom said something like how are we going to go tho cause we have 65 chickens? I don't know what to say but I was wondering do any of you guys go on vacation even tho you have chickens? I have relatives but they are states away. I'm home schooled so I don't really know someone that would come over here to check on them. And our neighbors wont so..........I guess I'm tied down and can't go somewhere or? But I was just wondering how do you guys go on vacation or do you not even go on vacation when you have chickens. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum spot.

Check and see if there are any pet sitters in your area, or contact the local 4 - H and see if some kid wants to make a couple bucks. I have a lady who comes in to take care of my dogs and birds. She's dependable, and I can go away with minimal worrying. Make sure to ask for references!

Check and see if there are any pet sitters in your area, or contact the local 4 - H and see if some kid wants to make a couple bucks.   I have a lady who comes in to take care of my dogs and birds.  She's dependable, and I can go away with minimal worrying.  Make sure to ask for references!
That a good Idea! Thank you!:D

I talk to anyone that is within an easy walk of my coop, and ask if they will care for the chickens while I am gone in exchange for eggs. So, they get whatever eggs they gather, and I get piece of mind.

With that many chickens, that is a LARGE number of eggs(if those are mostly layers).

What about calling your local food bank, and seeing if they will care for the chickens in exchange for the eggs? Or, maybe someone from church would like to do the same thing and take the eggs to the food bank.

I do try to set everything up so that the sitter has the least amount of work possible.

7 days is too long, in my view. It might work, but if there is a upsetting of the feeder and especially a failure of some in the watering system, they'd have a potentially long, long time without feed or water. What ever can go wrong, often does.

3 days is as long as I've gone, perhaps 4 days. The eggs pile up, the water situation gets dicey, they tend to gorge on the feed, front loading their intake, blah blah blah. It's precarious. A week is a long, long time without someone stopping by once or twice, at minimum. Someone trained well, by you, many times, in advance BTW.

Yea I'm not going to leave my chickens all alone. I'm probably am going to have a pet sitter come by 2 a day to gather eggs feed them let them out and put them away.:)

Back
Top Bottom