Vacation Worries

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CraziChickLady, Sep 9, 2012.

1. CraziChickLady

CraziChickLady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone im new to byc and new to owning chickens. Just have a few concerns, we will be going on a vacation for 5 days and dont know what to do with our babies. They are currently free range and around 3 months old, we have a fenced in back yard and a run in side of the fence that was once a dog cage with the coop in it, its about 12 X 8. We had 4 chickens all togeher but are down to 3 now (we think it was an owl)..thats why im worried to leave them. We dont really have anyone to look after them, whould it be ok to pen them in the run while we are gone and give them something to do...if so, what are your suggestions on keeping them busy. Also there is no grass in the run because they scratched and ate it all. There is a door to the run that we keep open durning the day and close at night...i dont want to leave it open the whole time were gone due to preditors, we are close to the woods and country. I have read some articals on here about other people going on vacation and what the have done but i needed some more reasurence. thank you :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] hope the pictures help

2. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    yes, it is fine to keep them penned up, but MAKE SURE that you give them enough food and water...and i have heard that cabbage heads are great to entertain chickens (hang it from the top of the run.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] x2 Lots of food and water and some cabbage. Can you ask a neighbour to check on them for you maybe? Just to give you some peace of mind.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It would really be better to have someone check in on them each day

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] X2 on the above posts

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

z3 un the above post

7. CraziChickLady

CraziChickLady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you for the comments so far, i will get some cabbage! didnt mean to post twice opps :)

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I agree with the above posters. Good luck. :thumbsup

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Howdy!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by