Vacation!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dsabouri, Aug 25, 2016.

1. dsabouri

dsabouri New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm going on vacation only 3 nights, but my chickens r normally free range during the day and cooped at night. Wondering if I can coop them that long???
    There is 1 rooster, 10 hens and 1 female turkey.
    Can I keep them cooped that long??? Their coop is a lg hoop house ( 12x12) lots of roost room, floor covered in straw.??
    Everytime someone watches them for me something won't go in and ends up missing? To worried to have someone try and keep head count and force them in!
    HELP!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What is your weather like at this point in time? If you are having major hot spells, I don't think it would be safe to leave them with no supervision. They could knock over their water, run out of feed, or contaminate it. Breeds, birds, may not get along when they are forced to be with each other 24/7.

Is there a chance someone could just come by to see if the water and food need refilling?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I echo D/Diva's concerns.

Enjoy your break!

CT

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Sounds like it is best to leave them confined with a caretaker to come by to check on them.

Make sure you personally introduce whoever is to watch over them so they will accept them and not fear them.

5. dsabouri

dsabouri New Egg

Aug 25, 2016

6. dsabouri

dsabouri New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    It has been in the upper 70's here, (mi) but there coop is in the shade and well ventilated it stays pretty cool in there. I will defiantly leave them an extra food and an extra lg waterer! I have tested and left them cooped up for 24hrs at a time and everyone gets along ok. I'm going to check with the neighbors I'm hoping they can come check on them but they have never bird sitted before and I want their job as easy as possible!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. I also agree with Diva. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by