vacation

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iesolstice, May 11, 2009.

1. iesolstice

iesolstice New Egg

May 7, 2009
    I'm just researching the idea of spending my life with chickens and started to wonder what will I do with them when I want to take a vacation. For extended trips, I'm sure i could get someone to come out to my place and check on them, but I'm not sure about every day. Would the birds be ok for a day or two on their own as long as I set up their eating and drinking situation to be automatic?

2. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    [​IMG]

As long as the chicks are in an environment secure from predators & weather extremes they should be fine. I left
    mine for a week in late Jan. I left several waterers including
    a large heated dog bowl. I had a 250 watt heat lamp in the
    coop all winter. There is a large hanging feeder full of layer pellets. My security blanket so to speak is I have 3 grown
    children in the area. They offered to come check on the house & animals. While there was no set schedule it worked
    out fine. We were frequently in touch by phone and I knew who came when and no one needed to change or add water or food.

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can usually call local 4-H and find a responsible teen to care for them !

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

This is what neighbors are for !! I have already been informed by one of mine that she would be very disappointed and have hurt feelings if I ask anybody but her to take care of our animals when we are gone. I had already been planning on this since she has chickens too and owns a horse stable I know seh wil take good care of things for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by