Vacation?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rmonge00, Feb 23, 2011.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone,

I am planning on getting 25 chickens soon, but am starting to worry that I will be away 2 weeks in July. My coop is huge - 10x12 feet and 6-8 ft high. Will be they be OK in there, locked up for 2 weeks? How often will someone need to come in and supply the feed and water? Any advice would be most welcome!!

Ryan

2. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    where do you live? they cant be locked up in the heat. someone will have to feed them at least every other day. if you have a big feeder. i dont know but they need a lot of water. your coop is kind of small for them. what kind of chickens do you have?

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    You're going to need a "chicken sitter."

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

What's this "Vacation" thing?

Heard of 'em

never had one [​IMG]

Are they fun, or do you just worry about your chickins 'til you get home?

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Haven't had one in so long I don't remember much other than they are expensive, you travel far and often end up around a bunch of people you would rather get away from. [​IMG]

Steve

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Haven't had one in so long I don't remember much other than they are expensive, you travel far and often end up around a bunch of people you would rather get away from. [​IMG]

Steve

Sounds like a family reunion. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree, I would not try this.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Heck, I'm worried about going away for 3 days in August. I did it last year for 6 birds with a PVC feeder and hanging 5 Gallon Water Bucket with nipples.
    Tried not to think of them while I was gone. They were fine. They did have access to an outside run that was fenced in - not 'cooped up' so to speak [​IMG]
    Going away again this year - but there will be more birdies...

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Your coop is not very large for that many chickens... The standard suggests 4 sq ft per bird for the coop and then 10sq ft in the run.. There are many different factors that would /should alter that number.. Are your birds bantam or standard? Does your coop have a large enclosed run--where they can be turned out during the day....

I agree, I would NEVER leave any animal for days/weeks at the time w/out having someone to check on them! "Things" happen--water gets spilled, eggs will spoil/get broken (might be the start of egg eaters), IF they get bored they are more likely to start pecking and can even kill each other.... food gets soiled, predators get brave and have time to 'work' at getting in for long periods of time, chickens get hurt, a tree falls on the coop etc...You get the idea!

I would work out a deal w/ someone you can trust. You will have a better time and enjoy yourself knowing your chickens are being taken care of..

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I am totally ok with your coop size!

I would have someone check food and water daily though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by