Vacation

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
Ok, this is something that I'm trying to prepare for. We are going away for two days on the 13th and 14th to a family reunion about an hour away. Originally, I had planned to have a family member come check on them the morning of the 14th to make sure their light was on, water,etc. but that family member is getting a divorce now (which I just found out) so she's a little preoccupied. So, my next plan is to ask my neighbor to come and check on them once a day to make sure the light is working, water,etc.

But....I don't want him to come in our house, which is where my brooder is. I have a large covered carport that has lights, electricity and all. It's more like a garage with no garage door. I have a big rabbit cage already set up in the corner (we never got a rabbit though) that would make a perfect juvenile brooder. Our chicks will be 3.5 weeks old at that point. Would it be ok to put them in the rabbit cage, cardboard around of course...outside? It's pretty warm here in the days, upper 60's and high 40's at night and continuing to warm with each day. They would have their brooder light, although I would probably need to get a 250 one and just hang it higher (we are using 125 now)

Thoughts? If we did put them outside, I'd just have the neighbor come check once an evening to make sure the brooder light was still working fine, and just put several waterers in there so they would have plenty for the two days they wouldn't be tended to.

Set it up now and see what the temp is first thing in the morning(coldest time of the day) when you get up. If it's high enough, I think you're fine. If it's not, I wouldn't do it. But I think testing it ahead of time is the only way to know.

I don't have a thermometer right now, I'd have to get one. I just judge by their behavior whether they are too warm or too cold.
hmm.png

Well I'm no expert by anymeans. (I'm raising my first group of chicks right now). But I got an outdoor thermometer from the local hardware store for $4. That's the only way I can think of to measure the temp ahead of time. Otherwise you go out of town and have no control over what's going on with your chicks. Does your neighbor no anything about them/is he will to take them in his house if he goes to check on them and they're too cold? But maybe someone with more experience can be of better help.

Back
Top Bottom