1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vacationing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CLutze27, Feb 11, 2017.

1. CLutze27

CLutze27 Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Ohio
    Hello everyone, i was curious as to what everyone does to keep their lovely ladies fed and watered when they happen to be gone for a few days or so. The family is going on vacation and I'm trying to think of a way to make sure they are all fed and watered the whole time we are gone. My father in law (who lives like 5 miles from me) is having someone come check on his birds everyday. My wife plan was to just take ours over and let them spend the week with his. (not really a good idea in my opinion). Ive got 10 hens and 1 too so they don't eat a mountain of food, but they would still would need enough for 7 days. Not too worried about the water's I've got a set up with a 55 gallon rain barrel and automatic waterer. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    For a 7 day leave, I would recommend you find a capable person to check on your flock daily. Accidents and illness can kill quickly. Eggs (if yours are laying) need to be picked up every day. Predators can do a lot of damage just overnight.

For me, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them alone that long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by