Vacations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HottLemonade2886, Apr 1, 2009.

1. HottLemonade2886

HottLemonade2886 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    My husband and I are thinking about getting 2-3 pullets for eggs but are worried about what to do if we were leaving the house for like a week. We are in GA and all our family is in NJ so we will probably be going up for some holidays. My question is what do you guys do when you have to leave or are going on vacation.? How long to you think two egg laying chickens can be left alone before its too long?

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have auto water bowls so I'm safe there. But I use to fill a 30lb feeder and be fine for a week. Maybe ask a vet tech or a 4-H student to check on them? Or a close neighbor who could keep the e g g s they collect for checking on them every few days?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I won't leave mine for more than a full day without having someone come in and check on them. Usually my step daughter comes to stay and take care of all the critters when we go out of town. It's cheaper to pay her than it is the vet just to board the dogs and cat.
    But yeah, one day. Waterers get spilled or malfunction and leak. Feed can run out.
    Welcome to BYC and please forgive the forum craziness today.

4. HottLemonade2886

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Well I'm new to the area so don't really have any close friends yet. I do have one friend but we are military and she is thinking about maybe going home when her husband is gone so I don't know if I could rely on just her. Where is a good place to look for auto waterers? I'd like to check them out.

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I have a nieghbor/friend/family member go and check on them.I wouldn't leave them alone for more then a day.Things happen and expect the unexpected.I go on vacation for a week and make sure someone is getting them fresh water everyday.There feeder holds 200lbs of feed that last a month right now so thats all good but fresh water is soooo important.Eggs are set aside in a basket for when I get home and anyone can help themselves to some.I get 2 doz a day so must be done EVERYDAY.

6. HottLemonade2886

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Okay. Right now I'm thinking all waiting till next spring before we get any. That way I'll have everything ready, have time to do lots of research and know more people around that I can trust to check in on them. Thanks for the info!

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    It really depends on what time of year you are going on vacation. With just 2, you really should be able to leave them for a week if their area is predator proof.

But... it really is best if you could find someone who can come and check on them at least once. In the summer, they can go through water really fast.

I live in GA too. And I have gone on vacation and left my 8(or so) chickens for a week. Usually I have one of my neighbors check on them once in the middle of the week (they get to keep the eggs). I used to ask my Father in Law, but he forgot once and the poor things ran out of water before we got home. Go figure- the strangers were more reliable than family! But if your waterer is large enough and you only have 2-3, filling it should get them through a week.

Just ask one of your neighbors. Or call the 4H office or vet in your area and see if you could get some references. Because whether you get chickens now, or in the spring, or 3 years from now... vacations will always be an issue. You might also put an ad on Craigs List... just to find other chicken people in your area. You'd be surprised how many of us there are, who'd be willing to help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by