vacccines for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leslieaveritt, Apr 13, 2011.

1. leslieaveritt

leslieaveritt New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    If I get any of my eggs to hatch in my home made incubator, what meds or vaccines do I need to give these chicks? and is it needed when they can go outside only? Or if none hatch and I purchase some chicks do they need vacinated or wormed like puppies?? thanks for any help on this.

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I had the chicks that I just got from the hatchery vaccinated for Merek's. I feed medicated feed to prevent Coccidiosis. I'm not sure I understand about the going outside only part. Were you planning on keeping them in the house forever? Chickens love to go outside to forage for bugs, grass, and all sorts of other things. I have one that does come in during the day for visits with me and does sleep inside because I spoiled him as a baby and always let him do so, but for the most part they are outside all day.

3. constance

constance Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Tucson
    Hi and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

I am NOT an expert!

I think it depends on where you are, your risk of exposure, and your risk-comfort level.

I got my first four, 5-week old pullets from the feed store 3 years ago (un-vaccinated), and am adding my first group of day-old chicks next week (my first 4 are still with me). They will be shipped to me from a private breeder. I struggled with this issue for a while. A few of us on the Arizona Chickens thread recently discussed it back and forth. I decided that I would vaccinate my new chicks for Marek's, Fowl Pox, and Newcastle/Infectious Bronchitis. I live in urban Tucson, where backyard chickens have become very popular. Given the popularity of chickens here, the known proximity of other small flocks, and my LARGE wild bird populations, I decided it would be best to vaccinate and stop worrying. My new chicks will be isolated and quarantined from my hens for 3 to 4 weeks. I decided that might not be enough. I have read that Marek's is everywhere, and my hens were probably already exposed to it. I don't know about the other three diseases, but I did learn that two of them have occurred to people on the AZ thread (sometimes with devistaing results), and all three have occurred in AZ in the last 10 years.

I don't take my chickens to shows, but I think they could potentially be infected by the pigeons, mourning doves, sparrows, and finches that roam my neighborhood and who may have visited other backyard chickens. I also have a big, city park nearby that has a zoo, and two wild duck and geese ponds.

After saying all of that, my first four ladies are still with me, and have not been vaccinated (although I did have to help them recover from other issues). They are healthy.

I got tired of thinking about it, and ordered vaccines from Jeffers. A few of us in the area made a combined order to save on shipping. I feel good about it.

I hope this does not cause more confusion for you. I read, and read, and read (check the cooperative extension and state agriculture sites for your state and county, and other states), and worried, and figured it couldn't hurt. Others may disagree.

Good luck with your decision!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by