vaccinate adult?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizO, Jul 24, 2010.

1. lizO

lizO Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I've just acquired a mom and chick bantam silkies. They have never been vaccinated, and appear to be in good health. Maybe the mom has a little diarrhea. I've started them on pedialyte, mostly because of the heat. The mom's feet are very weird; toes kinda all over the place, one long spiraly toenail. Should i vaccinate them now, before new chicks arrive in a few weeks? What should i give them? thanks for advice, L

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Vaccinations are usually for mericks and sometimes for cocci. Mom will likly already be immune to cocci, and if chicks are raised with her, they will be too in short order... and the mericks, many never do it and if she's an adult and ever had it, she's already a carrier and vaccine won't do anything. That said... I've never vaccinated and many don't.

And silkies do have funky toes, usually juts a 5th, but if she is older, that nail can get overgrown. You can just trim it. Polydactly is common in silkies so don't worry if she has a 6th or 7th toe either.

3. lizO

lizO Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    whew! thanks. i was having an anxiety attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by