Vaccinate older chickens against Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrygirrrl, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Countrygirrrl

Countrygirrrl Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before and I missed the thread:

I just ordered 27 day-old chicks that will arrive on April 20. They will be vaccinated against Marek's. But as I looked through the records of last year's order of 16 girls (that my beloved [​IMG]husband placed), I noticed that these birds are not vaccinated against the disease ([​IMG]). Thankfully, they are now over 9 months old and healthy.

Should I be concerned about having a vaccinated and non-vaccinated birds on the farm? Is it possible (and effective) to vaccinate the older birds as well? I've tried to find information on the Internet, but it's contradictory and confusing.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    The vaccine is a killed virus so it won't cause the vaccinated birds to infect the unvaccinated.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, since I already have Marek's in the flock my plan is to buy older vaccinated pullets from now on.

You are supposed to keep the chicks from getting potentially exposed to Marek's for 3 weeks though, and that would be darn near impossible for folks that have an established flock. I question whether the 3 weeks rule is even real, as very few people raise chicks using clean room type sterilization procedures.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by