vaccinate quail with chicken vaccines?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by groundpecker, Nov 4, 2011.

1. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I will be vaccinating about 40 juvenile chickens in a few days for Newcastle/Broncitis and fowl pox. Would it hurt the quail if i also vaccinated them? I will have plenty of vaccine left over from the chickens.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

to the best of my knowledge the vaccines you speak of may be deadly to quail......

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    CORRRECT...

THERE'S ONLY 1 VACINE READILY AVAILABLE FOR QUAIL, ITS GEARED AT BOB WHITES MORE SPECIFICALLY AND FOR 1 TYPE OF BRONCHITIS ONLY.

AS FOR NEWCASTLES LAST TIME I CHECKED THE FED CLAIMS ITS NOT HERE IN THE US, NEVER HAS BEEN... [​IMG] I DO KNOW IN PARTS OF THE WORLD WHERE IT DOES EXIT ITS THE 1 DISEASE WHERE QUAIL CAN "GET EVEN" MEANING COTS CAN BE A CARRIER AND IN TURN INFECT CHICKENS

PERSONALLY I WOULD VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH VACINATING ANY BIRD IF THE VACINE WASNT APPROVED FOR THAT SPECIES, IN THE CASE OF GAMEBIRDS YOUR VACINE IS LIKELY TO TURN INTO A BOOSTER FOR AN ACTIVE CASE OF THE DISEASE

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I believe the vaccine I keep seeing around is the quail pox one, geared towards bobwhites. I personally don't vaccinate anyone if there is not information behind the vaccine and if it's not for the species designated for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by