vaccinated chicks accidentally fed medicated feed

rehsanipoor

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2018
Baltimore, MD
My chicks were vaccinated for Marek's. I just read that giving the medicated feed will cause the vaccine not to work. Not knowing this, I fed them medicated feed for the first week and half. Do I need to be concerned?

So should I be giving them something in their water/food for the coccidiosis? I've done so much reading and learning, but I think I need some education on disease prevention. Right now they are getting plain water and non-medicated feed. I can switch them back to medicated feed (the store was just out when I went last time).

Feeding medicated feed may help prevent outbreaks of Coccidiosis and it may not.
I'd recommend feeding non medicated and keep an eye out for signs of Coccidiosis.
Keep your brooder clean and dry.

The only time I have issues with coccidiosis is the first couple weeks my chicks go from brooder to outdoors. I know many people throw a little turf into their brooder to help with this ahead of time, but since I vaccinate for Marek's, I have to keep my birds away from any exposure to "outdoor life" for a few weeks. I just make sure to keep an eye on them and throw some corid in their water at the first signs of anything "off". Best of luck to you and your littles!

@orrpeople thanks for your answer. I didn't totally understand what you wrote "but since I vaccinate for Marek's, I have to keep my birds away from any exposure to "outdoor life" for a few weeks.". What do signs of coccidiosis look like? Are the only preventative steps to keep the area dry? If I do medicated feed, will this help prevent it?

@orrpeople thanks for your answer. I didn't totally understand what you wrote "but since I vaccinate for Marek's, I have to keep my birds away from any exposure to "outdoor life" for a few weeks.". What do signs of coccidiosis look like? Are the only preventative steps to keep the area dry? If I do medicated feed, will this help prevent it?
If you vaccinate for Marek's you have to make sure they aren't exposed to an Marek's "stuff" for a while just after they are vaccinated or the vaccine doesn't work.

No the medicated feed does not ALWAYS prevent it.
Read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/medicated-vs-non-medicated-feed.1173248/

Back
Top Bottom