1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vaccinated chicks with Non-vaccinated chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aibbam, May 10, 2016.

1. aibbam

aibbam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    Hi,

So, i've hatched 6 of my own chicks using eggs from a couple of my bantams. The day after they all hatched, a hatchery i'd been put on a waiting list for rang me and said the 3 chicks that i'd wanted were available to collect. I'd been waiting 2 months so jumped and went and collected the chicks, which had been vaccinated and are about a week and a half older than my incubated bantams.
    I only have the 1 brooder so put them all in together as i don't really have any other option. Once i'd got the chicks home i noticed that the 3 vaccinated chicks that i collected are all sneezing. I spoke to the guy about it and he said it's because the vaccination is a live virus, that they've got a bit of a 'cold' and they'll get over it soon....
    Is it likely that this vaccination 'cold' will get passed onto my incubated chicks but instead of them getting over it, they'll actually get the virus properly?!
    I'm a bit annoyed really as when i collected the chicks from the hatchery i was talking all about my new hatchlings at home and how they'll all be together in the brooder...not once did the guy even hint that it shouldn't be done because of the chance of my non-vaccinated ones getting the virus from the 3 i was collecting from the hatchery!
    I'd be absolutely beside myself if all 6 bantams then end up getting virus' and die....[​IMG][​IMG]

Any ideas chicky experts?!

Thanks

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicks usually get over colds, and since the hatchery chicks didn't have a fully live virus they may pass a weakened one on. I'd monitor the situation.

Maybe get a hold of some antibiotics you can put in the water just in case. I'll have to check the name later today, but I think it's called duramycin. It mixes in the water.

3. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    I'm in the UK so getting hold of antibiotics is a pain in the....but fortunately about a month ago i had a friend visit the US and i got her to bring me back some chicken bits (as you do [​IMG]) that cost a bomb to buy here in the UK i.e Vet Rx and antibiotics as here i'd need to go to the vets to get a prescription etc etc. Anyway, so i have a packet of Oxytetracycline HCI which i could have at the ready in case i need it with the chick chicks.
    If my bantams start the sneezing shall i just keep an eye on them and hope that it'll pass and if it doesn't then use the antibiotics? Or as soon as they start to sound like they're getting something then give antibiotics?
    Thanks again!

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    If it were me, I probably would give them one round of antibiotics. Even if they stop sneezing finish the round of antibiotics, or it may start up again. Antibiotics can give them diarrhea, if they are on them, try giving them some plain yogurt which replenishes the good bacteria.

5. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    So you'd put all chicks on antibiotics straight away? I'd be worried about it taking too much out of them, especially if it might give them diarrhea and they're feeling poorly already...
    I've put electrolytes in their water to give them a boost to try and get them over their colds and help the others after hatching. Also i have put a couple of drops of Vet Rx on the bedding under the heat lamp.

6. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    Oh and when you say a round of antibiotics, how long is a round for? A week? And would i do a 800mg dosage like i would for full grown chickens or a weakened dosage?

7. gmatson

gmatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    It's about a Tablespoon of oxytetracycline per gallon of water. I gave it to mine for 10 days.

8. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks to both of you for your help!
    My little ones have started to do tiny sneezes so i've now put them on antibiotics. Just hope it works and they all survive. I lost my eldest hen today and i really don't want to loose any chicks too.
    Thanks again

9. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    So, my chicks have been on antibiotics for 10 days now and they're all sneezing now, one even seems raspy. The vaccinated chicks are fine now, just my own hatch are now sneezing and scratching their noses. I'll carry them on until day 14...if there's still no improvement, what do I do?

10. aibbam

Jul 12, 2015
    One of my non-vaccinated chicks is now pooing blood, like, pure 'splats' of blood....any ideas why and what to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by