1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vaccinating against Marek's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moonlyghtegirl, Feb 26, 2009.

1. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    I purchased my chicks from an individual. Should I purchase the vaccine myself and vaccinate my chicks. They are one week old. Thanks!

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's probably too late. If they've been around other chickens and have played in the dirt, they've already contracted the virus.

3. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    THey have been from incubator/brooder at breeders to my house, and they are the only chicks I have. Do you still thinks it is too late?

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Likely, unless you've practiced insane biosecurity. It wouldn't hurt to do it anyways, and heck, I could be wrong. For $13 it's worth doing anyways.

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I have read that it is a race between the vaccine and the disease with baby chicks, so it is best to vaccinate the day they are born. I would do it anyway, they may not have been exposed yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by