Vaccinating?and extra chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briana1975, Feb 25, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I just ordered from Ideal. I only ordered 12. Everything I have read so far has recomended vaccinating, so I checked yes on the Merecks vaccine. But Ideal doesn't recomend it for small flocks. Should I e-mail them and say I changed my mind on the vaccinations? Also after I placed my order I read how they only ship out 1/4 size boxes and that equals 25 chicks and they add extra chicks to make up differance. Does this mean I will get 13 extra roosters, and do the vaccinate the extras too? I am brand new to this. I just don't know.

2. mdfishinggirl

mdfishinggirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I am new too, but I am suppose to get my chicks tomorrow from Ideal. I ordered 9, paid the extra insurance to have no roosters packed in with them. I was told that if I order 9, I will get 9 if I request NO extras and pay the insurance. You have me worried with that whole 1/4 box thing!!
    As far as vaccinations, I also checked no as they recommend that. I was told by someone who has a small flock nearby that you don't need to worry about that with so few. Who knows. I will let you know tomorrow what actually comes in my Ideal order [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im guessing that they would send 13 extra roosters, and they would not be vaccinated. I would call them up and cancel the vaccines.

4. mdfishinggirl

Jan 31, 2009
    I called today to see if they shipped my chicks. They said they only sent the 9 I ordered since I paid the extra $1.95 insurance. I did not have my vaccinated, but will use medicated starter feed. Good luck, give them a call. They are really nice people!

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Though mdfishinggirl's chicks have already been sent, I thought I'd post regarding getting the "packing peanuts" vaccinated at IDEAL for Mareks.

I emailed Mikaela Fuchs ([email protected]) who works at Ideal regarding having any packing peanuts that might be sent with my order vaccinated for Mareks. She said:
    We also vaccinate the males for warmth that will be included in your order. NO CHARGE! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Since I was already getting other chicks vaccinated, if you ask they can also vaccinate any peanuts sent also. Mikaela was very nice and answered any questions and helped with several changes to my order.

Quote:Just for folks that may not know... Medicated Starter feed is only for preventing sickness due to Coccidiosis. Medicated feed DOES NOT prevent or help in any way chicks from catching Mareks disease. Mareks disease is pretty widespread so I don't think it hurts to spend an extra 10 to 15 cents per chick to vaccinate them.

On a side note, I also had the 'extra's' included with my McMurray order vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis. Just ask and they also can do it.​

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Though mdfishinggirl's chicks have already been sent, I thought I'd post regarding getting the "packing peanuts" vaccinated at IDEAL for Mareks.

I emailed Mikaela Fuchs ([email protected]) who works at Ideal regarding having any packing peanuts that might be sent with my order vaccinated for Mareks. She said:
    We also vaccinate the males for warmth that will be included in your order. NO CHARGE! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Since I was already getting other chicks vaccinated, if you ask they can also vaccinate any peanuts sent also. Mikaela was very nice and answered any questions and helped with several changes to my order.

Quote:Just for folks that may not know... Medicated Starter feed is only for preventing sickness due to Coccidiosis. Medicated feed DOES NOT prevent or help in any way chicks from catching Mareks disease. Mareks disease is pretty widespread so I don't think it hurts to spend an extra 10 to 15 cents per chick to vaccinate them.

On a side note, I also had the 'extra's' included with my McMurray order vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis. Just ask and they also can do it.

Thanks that was helpful. I am hoping to let them free range later so the vaccintion, I think will be a good idea.​

7. mdfishinggirl

Jan 31, 2009
    I do know that the medicated feed does not prevent Merecks. I just chose not to get it done due to Ideal's recommendation and the fact that I only have 9 chicks. By the way, they arrived this morning at 5am and are all doing fine. No extras included, just the 9 I ordered.

The people at Ideal were very, very nice to talk to.

[​IMG]

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I always vaccinate for Marek's. It's an awful disease and the few pennies they charge is well worth it.

9. mdfishinggirl

Jan 31, 2009
    Okay, now I am worried. Is this something you can do retroactively? Why would Ideal recommend you NOT to do it with small flocks? Just wondering. I am sure there are numerous opinions on this, but I am always interested in other's "2 cents". If there is a strong reason that I should do it and can still do it, I will. I live next to a small farm store that has meds of all sorts.

10. mdfishinggirl

Jan 31, 2009
    Jody,
    I just looked at another post you did on Mareks and got my answers. I will visit the farm store this morning and see what I can do. The chicks are day olds. I will just have to weigh the risks of doing it/not doing it. Thanks again for your information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by