Vaccinating baby chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CoolClucker, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    Does anyone know how they vaccinate baby chicks? Do you know if they are treated badly or roughly, etc? There is a job in my area for vaccinating chicks, and not sure if it's up my ally or not. Want to ask too if there would be any way to bring home something to my own flock? I have 14 chickens of my own, that are about 7 months old. I wouldn't want to jeopardize their health either. Any thoughts, insight is welcome. Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Our sensibilities vary. I don’t consider myself being treated roughly, inhumanely, or cruelly when I get the flu shot. You might.

There is only one way to find out what is involved in vaccinating those chicks. Call and ask. Some chicks are given injections, some are vaccinated by misting. I’m sure there are other methods.

Is it possible you could bring something home to your chickens? Yes. It’s also possible you could infect heir chickens from your home flock. Again I’d call, but there is a real possibility they won’t hire you because you have chickens at home. You might infect their chickens. These places usually take biosecurity very seriously and you are probably a risk to them. But I don’t know how they feel about that. They do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by