Vaccinating chicks, adults, etc..When???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tail_feather, May 6, 2009.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I have researched a lot of opinions on vaccinating on this site. I would like to know when to vaccinate new chicks that I have hatched, half grown birds and adult birds??? Also, what to vaccinate with and what to vaccinate for. Worms, any other diseases, etc... Do you put them on a regular vaccinating schedule??? Thanks in advance!! [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I vaccinate for Mareks as day olds.

3. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    thank u...but what if you dont? then what else do you vaccinate for during the birds lifetime...would anyone care to share their vaccinating schedule??? thank you!!

4. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I'd be interested in answers to this as well. Since I got my chicks from an individual, they were not vaccinated for Mareks or anything else. Does the Mareks vaccination have to be done at one day old? What about the rest?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Marek's has to be done at a very young age. It has to be done before they are exposed to other chickens, where other chickens have been or the outdoors. It is normally given within a few days of hatching. I don't vaccinate for anything else. Marek's is everywhere (worldwide). It is one of the most common chicken diseases in the world. You can call your local extention office to find out if there are any other diseases of concern in your area.

6. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Thanks! That helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by