Vaccinating Chicks With Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coopacabana, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    If I have a broody hen hatch & raise chicks, can I take them, vaccinate them, and put them back?

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    I've never personally done that, and I've never had any problem with diseases and stuff. If you want to do that, I don't see why it would be a problem though. I do know that when you order from Ideal, they don't suggest vaccinating if you have a small flock. If you do decide to do it, do it at night when everyone is calm and sleepy and in one place. Take them out, vaccinate, and put them back, like you said. Mama wont mind.

3. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    I don't have problems with disease, but I think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and as I plan to show the birds, it just seems like a good idea.

I hadn't thought of doing it at night, that's smart. Well, I'll see how it goes!

4. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Oh, no I wasnt saying that, haha! Sorry it sounded like that. Good luck!!

5. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Oh no, I'm sorry! I just wanted to clarify it was a preventative measure, I didn't mean it like that!

Thanks!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Yes. I can take chicks from a very tinkled-off game hen, handle them for measurement (similar to vaccination process) then return them too her without major problems. Be careful with hens prone to flog so chicks not accidently hurt. Process is stressfull for all parties so show them love.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by