Vaccinating chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by estheramelia, Jan 31, 2016.

1. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    I heard vaccinating for Mareks is only available when the chicken is 1 day old. How do you vaccinate? Do you take it to a vet?
    And what about the other diseases, when is the best time to vaccinate for those? Any replies would be appreciated

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

A number of vaccines are recommended being administered on day 1. The method of administration differs, according to the manufacturer of the vaccines. Some you add to drinking water, others as eye drops, others as a fine mist sprayed above the chicks. There may also be other methods, these are just some that i have used. Some vaccines suggest one or a number of possible methods of administering them.

No vet needed, just buy the vaccines and you are good to go. Its very straightforward here in Kenya to get vaccines, but i'm not sure about elsewhere.

I'd suggest contacting your state agricultural bods to see what vaccines are recommended in your area.

All the best
    CT

3. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    Thanks!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome

CT

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    In the past I've ordered the Mareks vaccine online and gave it myself. Also the hatcheries offer the vaccine for one dollar, very cheap and VERY worth it. They. say do it at a day old because Mareks is everywhere. older than a day they say the chick will likely already be exposed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI

But HOW fast in a day? Immediately when they are born? 1 hour? 12 hours?

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Usually the day they are hatched and dried. I was told the vaccine won't hurt a older bird but it probably won't protect them either because they likely are exposed already if they have been outside. Here is another fact most folks don't know. After vaccination the chicks should be KEPT INSIDE and AWAY FROM OTHER BIRDS for at least a month while they DEVELOP IMMUNITY from the vaccine. it takes time for immunity to develop.If they get the vaccine, then are put outside, the Mareks can take hold BEFORE the immunity has developed. Also not all Mareks positive birds develop symptoms. Some just remain CARRIERS and can give the disease to others. This disease is everywhere and it can even travel miles in the wind.SO the first day of life is perfect for vacancies.Also remember to let the immunity develop before they are exposed. This is the best way to protect against Mareks with vaccine. The injection goes just UNDER the skin and NOT into muscle. They hardly feel a thing. In fact the ones I have done didn't even squirm. so I'm assuming it's pretty painless to them. Hope this helps.

8. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    It's helps alot! Thank you!

9. dalenard

dalenard New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I wanted to know if Merack is the only disease that chick's should be vaccinated? I'm new to raising chickens and I'm trying to do a lot of research.

10. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    Me too! :D I don't have a chicken yet but I'm so excited!

Anyway, the diseases you can vaccinate for is
    Infectious Bursal Disease
    Mareks
    E. Coli
    Newcastle disease
    Adenovirus
    Salmonellosis
    Coccidiosis
    Infectious Laryngotracheitis
    Infectious Bronchitis

I heard E Coli was the reason Tyrannosaurus died while eating infected carcasses. It's pretty cool to think the same disease killed chicken ancestors 65 million years ago.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by