Vaccinating chicks?

I am going to start breeding my chickens this year or next year and I want to sell eggs and Chicks so I was wondering do I need to vaccinate them. I was wondering about the salmonella vaccine and mareks the most. Thanks in advance:)
Most backyard chicken breeders don't vaccinate. You can only buy a 1000-dose vial and once mixed, it only lasts 1 hour.
If I wanted to buy a vial from Meyer Hatcher, it costs about $30 for the vial and about $47 to ship it overnight. Say I had 10 chicks hatch in a batch. I'd have to charge at least $7.70 per chick just to recoup the expense of the vaccine making no money at all.
I'd stick to selling eggs and unvaccinated chicks.

Last edited:
I am going to start breeding my chickens this year or next year and I want to sell eggs and Chicks so I was wondering do I need to vaccinate them. I was wondering about the salmonella vaccine and mareks the most. Thanks in advance:)
So this morning, I was making fresh eggs from my garden for breakfast and I got twins in an egg when I cracked it! At first, I was very excited because that doesn't happen very often. Then, after I read this post, I realized that that could've happened because of a side effect of a vaccine. Does anyone know if there are side effects?

So this morning, I was making fresh eggs from my garden for breakfast and I got twins in an egg when I cracked it! At first, I was very excited because that doesn't happen very often. Then, after I read this post, I realized that that could've happened because of a side effect of a vaccine. Does anyone know if there are side effects?
Not that. It's actually quite common for pullets of breeds that lay large eggs to have double yolkers.

Are you sure because all human vaccines have side effects? I am not sure if I ate something bad or not but I guess I'll trust your judgement....

Www.jefferspet.com

is cheaper but still same concept $53 for 1000 doses.
you would have to be hatching some serious amounts of chicks to break even..

21CC6A1A-9F15-4B99-A1D4-37E1E1F70441.jpeg

Um that is actually a SERIOUS problem, I am a chicken vet and that IS a side effect!!! Get well soon!
I've had several pullets (including ones that have hatched from my flock and are therefore NOT vaccinated for anything) start of with an egg or four that were double yolked. It stops as the reproductive system matures.

I've had several pullets (including ones that have hatched from my flock and are therefore NOT vaccinated for anything) start of with an egg or four that were double yolked. It stops as the reproductive system matures.
Oh Im sorry!! I was responding to the wrong post!!!!! HAHA silly me!

An answer to all of the things on this thread:
It is possible to vaccinate your chicks but usually isn't worth the cost and hassle.
Double yolk eggs are completely fine to eat and are completely normal, as long as you're not getting them consistently.
Chickens DO NOT have milk and pulling their legs will only serve to anger them.

Back
Top Bottom