Vaccinating chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Sheriff, Nov 21, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I have Marek's and Fowl pox vaccines. I would like to vaccinate the chicks I have now consisting of three 4-week-old silkies. They have been outside once, on sod for about 5 minutes on a wire cage. I also have four 2-week-old bantam cochins (1OEG) who have never been outside. Is it too late to vaccinate them now? The silkies were shipped from MPC as day-olds and they do not recommend nor will they vaccinate day old bantams.

I also have 20 eggs in the incubator right now due to hatch on December 3rd. In that mix there are also seven bantams.

Would you recommend:

a.) vaccinating the ones I have now and ordering more vaccine for the bator chicks.

b.) waiting and vaccinating these chicks along with the day-old standard birds due Dec 3rd and ordering more for the Dec 3rd bantams.

c. ) waiting and vaccinating all of them when the Dec 3rd bantams are old enough. (That would mean keeping the whole motley crew in the house for several more weeks)

d.) it's too late to vaccinate any of these chicks because the silkies were outside and the bantams have been in the same brooder with the silkies

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
  2. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    i would go with A....but that is just me!![​IMG]

3. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    I'm also really interested in opinions on this - I have a one week old baby in a brooder (it was the only one that hatched) and did not vaccinate it. I didn't think it would survive because it was 3 days late hatching and had a splayed leg. However, it seems to be a feisty little creature and its legs seem to be getting better with the bandaid treatment.

I have 12 more eggs in a new incubator that are due to hatch in 10 days. I was wondering about vaccinating the one chick against Mareks, who will be 3 weeks old, when I do the new arrivals.

The chick is living in a brooder in my family room, so hasn't been outside. I guess if there is any Mareks around, I could still have brought that into the house - we were at the VPBA show all day on Saturday.

Any advice very much appreciated![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    There does not seem to be much interest in this subject. I have read about vaccinations in Raising Chickens for Dummies and the Chicken Health Handbook. With what I have gleaned from that and searching the internet I am planning to vaccinate all the chicks I have in the house, including eight 4-6 week olds that I am receiving today. Then I will order new vaccine for the 21 in the bator due to hatch Dec 3rd. I won't administer it for a couple of weeks though because MyPetChicken.com advises against vaccinating day old banties. Seven of the chicks in the bator are banty breeds. I hope I am doing the right thing.

Hopefully you'll get some responses.

Mary

5. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I think you've got the right idea, allthough I'm no expert! I'm vaccinating my 4 pullets for mereks and pox. They are going to be 5 weeks old and I'm using the older pox vaccine for all 4 - and when I do it the other 2 will be a few weeks older.
    I've read that you can vaccinate for mereks at any age but it may not be as successful with older chicks.
    I figure some protection is better than none! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by