Vaccinating chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by claud, Jan 20, 2008.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Does anyone vaccinate their own chicks? Instructions on doing this and where to get supplies? Mareks and Cocci

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I just vaccinated my new chicks for Cocci. You don't have to inject them, you spray the vaccine on their food. I got my vaccine from First State Vet supply Peter Brown the owner is a PHD in Poultry Science and extreamly helpful. He will instruct you in how to vaccinate for any of the meds her carries. I don't know about Mareks, I have not done it, but I think it is an injection, not sure. Good Luck

3. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Doesn't medicated feed vaccinate for coccidios???

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Can you vaccinate adult birds for cocci or just young ones?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:not exactly - it just holds the coccidia 'in check' enough that the birds can hopefully build up a little natural immunity without getting sick. Some people do not like to use antibiotics in their feed and thus do not want to use medicated feed. The vaccine supposedly achieves similar results (tho I don't think it protects against *all* kinds of coccidia strains?) without antibiotics.

Never used either myself so this is just what I've read,

Pat

6. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:No, medicated feed is more like an antibiotic. once you stop feeding it they are no longer protected. The vaccine allows them to build up their own immunity without actually getting the disease - much like human vaccinations.

7. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    so should I vaccinate? i have hatched them myself so I am not sure what I need to do....

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:No, medicated feed is more like an antibiotic. once you stop feeding it they are no longer protected. The vaccine allows them to build up their own immunity without actually getting the disease - much like human vaccinations.

In th elong run - vaccines actually weaken the immune system - yeah human ones too.

9. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:I don't think it would be necessary to vaccinate adults. usually by the time they are adults they've already been exposed to cocci and have built up an immunity.

10. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:If you have a small personal flock I don't think I would bother. You can feed them the medicated feed as chicks if you have lots of birds. I've raised some without medicated feed or vaccines before and they were ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by