Vaccinating chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bulldog164, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Bulldog164

Bulldog164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    Hi everyone, I have my first batch of eggs currently in my incubator. They will be fed on organic feed (starter crumbs, grower and then layers) do I need to give them anything special, or just Flubenvet in spring when I do everyone else?

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I vaccinated my chicks for Mareks disease when they were a day old. I never vaccinated them for anything else and I never lost a single one.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
  4. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vaccinating seems to be a touchy subject. I always vaccinate for mareks, but have received some backlash from other fellow chicken people for doing so. I figure better to be safe than sorry! I've been looking up lately, if a hen can still be raised organically having been vaccinated. Seems the answer is yes. My place/eggs etc are not certified organic, although I like to say they are raised organically, no chemicals, no medicated feed, etc.

If you look up Mareks, it's a horrible death by the sounds of it, and can practically travel in the wind. I also read that wild birds can expose your flock? That may not be true, but I did read that somewhere.

5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    it is a very personal decision. I know that my farm housed poultry many years, so for me it seems like a good insurance policy for 25 bucks.

Yes your chicks can still be considered Organic if vaccinated. I believe they have to be on organic feed (and organic veggies) from 2 weeks old onward. For a commercial producer the land has to also be certified organic, but for you and me just feeding organic is enough to market your eggs as such. :)

6. Bulldog164

Bulldog164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Devon, UK
    That's brilliant. I looked into organic and commercially it's a mine field. I will vaccinate against mareks just to be on the safe side

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by