Vaccinating Dogs at Home

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by protodon, Nov 22, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I have a question for anyone that vaccinates their dogs, or other pets, a home. When you take your dog to a groomer or doggy day-care, how do you prove that your dog has been vaccinated? Some people say just take the packaging from your vaccine with you but in the eyes of a groomer/day-care that doesn't really mean you vaccinated your dog...

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It would depend on where you are taking it. Maybe call ahead and ask them. I get the Purina Pro Plan puppy kits and inside they have a health chart for recording vaccines, wormings, and vet visits. When I vaccinate, I take the label from the bottles and stick them to the health record sheet and fill in the date vaccinated and the next due date.
    Most states require a vet to administer the rabies vaccine.

3. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    The health chart and documentation from the vet on the bordatella (kennel cough) and rabies.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You could take the shot with you and vaccinate the dog right in front of the vet, groomer or day care.

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Quote:There's an idea, but then again your dog could have the disease the same day you vaccinate it. I'm not sure if I really have any other options then going to the vet, although the last shots I got were at a vet at a Petco clinic but the Petco is so far from me. I just hate paying the vet $100 for something it would cost me $10 to do at home.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Sadly, many kennels and groomers require proof from a vet that the dog has been vaccinated. Which is aggravating, but I suppose it is to er on the side of caution. I worked in a boarding kennel and even if the owner had the packaging and records from doing it themselves, the vet that ran the kennel required that they actually be veterinarian records. Whether this was an attempt to nickel and dime, I'm not sure. [​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Our humane society does low-cost drive-through shot clinics several times a year. They offer the annual combo shot and rabies shot at "cost" $10 - given by a volunteer vet so it's all "legal" and they give you a receipt and rabies tag for proof. You just kinda have to "know" because to me it seems like they don't do a very good job of advertizing this thing. Call and see if you have something similar in your area!!!!!!!
    This is the only way my pets get their shots - since the vet has to give the rabies for it to be legal and I do most of my vetting at home.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Quote:Wow, I guess i never really thought about the down side to vaccinating at home. We groom our dogs at home and if we go on vacation either a relative or a neighbor takes care of them. We don't do doggy-day care. [​IMG] Sorry - no clue

9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    When we do the shots we alwys peel the label of the vile and put the stcker on a piece of paper wiyh th dogs name and the date.

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I bring the vaccine into the vet when we have the rabies done and do it right there in front of them so that they can record it in my records. If I buy the vaccine from them they will automatically record it for boarding even if I administer at home.

Haven't had trouble yet though most all the kennels and vets in the surrounding 4 counties know me due to the rescue work I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by