Vaccinating for Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyJane725, May 25, 2019.

1. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Hey guys,

Do any of you believe in vaccinating for fowl pox, and if so, where did you get your vaccine? My vet doesn't offer it, but if I bring it in myself they should be willing to administer it for me. Where should I buy it?

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Nope!
    Fowl pox is rarely fatal. Once they get it, most are immune for life.
    My plan to reduce the likeliness for occurance in my flock is to keep the vector level low. I am going to hang an octanone baited mosquito trap at the far corner of their pen, near the "moat" where I have power I can plug into.
    An added benefit for us as that site is also close to where our outdoor furniture setting is where we like to eat our meals during warm weather.

3. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Yeah, I'm not so worried about the dry pox, but the wet pox seems kinda bad/high mortality rate. And my coop is in a forested area, and we definitely get a lot of mosquitoes.

I can buy a zapper, but those octanone inserts are kinda pricey to keep replenishing. What ones do you use and how often do you change them?

DobieLover likes this.
  4. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I haven't set one up yet because I'm working on finishing their new run and being done with the construction in their pen. My rooster is having fits and we walk a fine line daily while I'm in there. I need it done. But when I do set it up, I will just have a bottle of 2-octanone ordered at work that I'll pay for. A 500 ml bottle will last me the rest of my life an cost about $65.

The only thing I vaccinated my flock against was Marek's. I don't believe that just because a vaccine is available that I should automatically give it to my bird, dog, cat, horse, whatever. I vaccinate based on severity of illness symptoms and likelihood of contracting the disease or if required by law (rabies).

Most of the vaccines that are available for chickens are used in the commercial industry because the birds are kept in deplorably overcrowded conditions and the spread of disease moves like wildfire when an outbreak occurs. I don't practice that kind of chicken husbandry.

5. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Hm. Well, I could definitely afford $65. Any chance I could pay you for one and you could send it to me? (Sorry if that's too forward. Feel free to say no.)

What do you do with the bottle once you have it? Squirt the liquid onto the zapper, or what? How does one bait the trap I guess I'm asking. And how far away from the run do you think I should put it? I mean, I want to catch all the little buggers near the run, but I also don't want to attract a ton of them into that area that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

I certainly don't believe in/practice that sort of chicken keeping either. My aim is just to keep them from undue suffering/dying that I could have prevented. I vaccinated for Marek's. That's it so far though. I honestly don't even know what all vaccine's exist. Most of them probably aren't necessary. I like to know the options though.

DobieLover likes this.
  6. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    The mosquito traps have octanone inserts. Instead of replacing them, I plan to just put a few more drops of octanone on the pad. As for placement of the trap, I plan to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the unit I buy.
    I'll find out if I can order more than one bottle and let you know.

7. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I could pay you a little extra for your trouble too.
    That's really smart to just keep re-wetting the inserts. I knew I loved your advice for a reason. You're a smart cookie. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: