Farmgirl1228

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2018
I recently bought 10 chicks from TSC. Of course, coming from TSC they are not vaccinated. They are around 3 weeks old now. I just ordered 60 chicks from a hatchery and they will be arriving in the next week. I got the hatchery chicks vaccinated for Mareks but I am worried about the older TSC chicks getting the younger ones sick because they have not been vaccinated for Mareks. Is it too late to vaccinate 3 week old chicks for Mareks?

according to previous posts, mareks vaccine may be given at any age. From my research, you should not allow any ground contact for 2 weeks following vaccination so sooner would be better if you plan on moving the 10 outside in a few weeks. my guess is that due to the age difference and # of chicks, you will most likely be keeping in separate brooding areas?

Welcome! In an environment that has Marek's virus present, it's essential that the vaccinated chicks NOT be there for two weeks or so. They need time to develop immunity from the vaccine.
In a clean, previously bird- free environment, it doesn't matter. As long as you are SURE that there's been no Marek's disease virus in your environment, and you aren't using previously contaminated stuff at your brooder or coop, everything will be fine.
Four weeks is too big a spread to have them all together immediately anyway, so your older chicks will be out in the coop, I assume, and the babies will be in your brooder?
Mary

I recently bought 10 chicks from TSC. Of course, coming from TSC they are not vaccinated. They are around 3 weeks old now. I just ordered 60 chicks from a hatchery and they will be arriving in the next week. I got the hatchery chicks vaccinated for Mareks but I am worried about the older TSC chicks getting the younger ones sick because they have not been vaccinated for Mareks. Is it too late to vaccinate 3 week old chicks for Mareks?

I agree with Muddy 75 with some additional comments. Also would keep in separate housing/run for 30 day quarantine. You can go to article here on BYC regarding flock management for adding new chickens to flock. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

Note quotes from article here on BYC on Marek's Disease and would recommend reading the entire article paying particular attention to the vaccine section. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

"If you vaccinate chickens older than 36 hours, you should NEVER consider them properly vaccinated, but at the same time it might give them a better chance than no vaccine at all (again, this is unproven)." The younger the better.

"After vaccination at hatch (before 36 hours of age!), it is important to isolate (quarantine) chicks from exposure to Marek's disease for a minimum of 3 weeks, for the maximum benefit and best chance for the vaccine to develop resistance within the immune system."

Enjoy your new flock! Boy you started with a large flock.

Paranoid biosecurity, good luck, and not having near neighbors with sick birds, all matter greatly towards having healthy birds, besides the good care you provide, and getting healthy birds in the first place.
Mary

according to previous posts, mareks vaccine may be given at any age. From my research, you should not allow any ground contact for 2 weeks following vaccination so sooner would be better if you plan on moving the 10 outside in a few weeks. my guess is that due to the age difference and # of chicks, you will most likely be keeping in separate brooding areas?
The chicks that I have currently are in my chicken coop in a separate, off the ground cage. The younger chicks will be up in my garage in a brooder for approximately 4 weeks.

Welcome! In an environment that has Marek's virus present, it's essential that the vaccinated chicks NOT be there for two weeks or so. They need time to develop immunity from the vaccine.
In a clean, previously bird- free environment, it doesn't matter. As long as you are SURE that there's been no Marek's disease virus in your environment, and you aren't using previously contaminated stuff at your brooder or coop, everything will be fine.
Four weeks is too big a spread to have them all together immediately anyway, so your older chicks will be out in the coop, I assume, and the babies will be in your brooder?
Mary
Yes, the older chicks are out in the coop currently and the younger bunch will be in my garage in a brooder for approximately 4 weeks.

Yes, the older chicks are out in the coop currently and the younger bunch will be in my garage in a brooder for approximately 4 weeks.

Sounds like your doing a good job. I would go ahead and vaccinate the birds that did not receive the Marek's Vaccine in this case, it could possibly prevent or minimize risk of Marek's Disease and complications while they are in quarantine for 4 weeks. It certainly can not hurt them and may offer some protection. You can see the article I put in previous post for information on how to vaccinate yourself or call local vet to see if they will. I don't know if TSC carries Marek's vaccine but I do know Meyer Hatchery sells vaccines. The Marek's vaccine vial they have has 1,000 doses for $23.29 and the kit includes vaccine, diluent, and 1.0 ml syringe. I would change needle between chickens or see if you can request extra syringes and use a separate syringe with needle for each chicken. The Hatchery recommends to inject 0.2ml subcutaneously in the back of one day old chicks neck but you might ask if a different dose is recommended if administered at a different age greater than 36 hours. If uncomfortable doing it, would consult vet.

I have both vaccinated and unvaccinated birds in my flock, and everyone is doing fine. If Marek's disease arrives here, I'll find out first from those unvaccinated home raised birds, and it will be a very bad event.
Mary

Sounds like your doing a good job. I would go ahead and vaccinate the birds that did not receive the Marek's Vaccine in this case, it could possibly prevent or minimize risk of Marek's Disease and complications while they are in quarantine for 4 weeks. It certainly can not hurt them and may offer some protection. You can see the article I put in previous post for information on how to vaccinate yourself or call local vet to see if they will. I don't know if TSC carries Marek's vaccine but I do know Meyer Hatchery sells vaccines. The Marek's vaccine vial they have has 1,000 doses for $23.29 and the kit includes vaccine, diluent, and 1.0 ml syringe. I would change needle between chickens or see if you can request extra syringes and use a separate syringe with needle for each chicken. The Hatchery recommends to inject 0.2ml subcutaneously in the back of one day old chicks neck but you might ask if a different dose is recommended if administered at a different age greater than 36 hours. If uncomfortable doing it, would consult vet.
Thank you so much! I believe I will go ahead and get the vaccine and ask my vet (that I’m related to haha) about vaccinating them for me or I may do it myself. Thanks for the article link and your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom