Vaccinating hatched chicks for Marek's?

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
How many of you vaccinate the chicks you hatch yourselves for Marek's? Is this something I'm going to need to do once mine hatch? What other vaccinations should they also get and at what age?

Thanks!

Hi, we vaccinated ours for Marek's in the first 24h after hatching. Hard to find the vaccine, a bit of a drive to a large feed store...kept it cool, then to room temp. We did the injection wrong location-wise (into wing skin), but later learned we should have lifted the chicks by the nape of the neck like a kitten, and injected subcutaneously into the tiny bit of extra neck skin, without risking injecting into more tender chick parts. Believe me...it can be stressful for newbies! It was a two person job for us...I'd try to get more advice...is there Marek's in your area?

I honestly don't know, but I do know how to give injections. I just wanted to know if it was recommended. I can order the vaccine from Jeffers (100 doses for $9.95).

I think it depends on what you are going to do with the chickens. If you are going to show, I would definately vaccinate. If you are going to be bringing outside birds into the flock (esp. adults), I think it's worth the $10 as well.

I get mine from Jeffers. This time of year I get an extra ice pack and the styrofoam cooler.

Back
Top Bottom