1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vaccinating home hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abooth, Sep 11, 2009.

1. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone, I am planning on hatching some eggs at home for the first time. The birds I have now all came from a hatchery and were vaccinated for Marek's disease. Do you folks vaccinate the chicks you hatch at home?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    after dealing with Mareks I now vac. all of mine I made a video of me doing it once I will try to find it.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    here I think this is it.

I normally do them at a day old but this was part of my first batch and they were 4 weeks, they had been isolated and the vac. seemed to take.

I do them now at 1 day old and keep them all isolated in a brooder upstairs for 10 days so that they are not introdused to Mareks too soon. then they move to the downstairs brooders or in the summer outside.

I get the vac from Jeffers usually and I get 4 at a time to make it lkess expensive since it is only good for an hour even though it does up to 1000 birds per bottlke which I think is humanly impossible to do in an hour or less, and I have gotten pretty fast at it [​IMG]

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I plan on doing mine we hatch here. But haven't yet.. hatched any that is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by