Vaccinating my flock. . .am I too late?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeepgirl, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    My flock consists of:
    (1) EE Roo, 3 years old
    (2) Americauna Hens, 3 years old
    (1) Barred Rock Hen, 3 years old
    (4) Americauna/EE Pullets, 5 months old

Until yesterday, I had (1) Buff Orphington Hen, 3 years old who mysteriously died, and a handful of Americauna/EE Roos, which I gave to new homes.

I have never vaccinated my flock. I started in MT, and got the 3 year olds as day old chicks from Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply. I moved to CO in the past year and a half, and recently hatched the younger chicks from my own flock.

There was a flood her in CO about 3 months ago, and I was evacuated from my home. I took all 16 birds with me on a helicopter, and relocated them to a barn about an hour from my house. They had been staying in a large stall in the horse barn, but they were previously accustomed to free ranging in my yard all day. It's been hard to manage my flock - people take eggs from them, and I don't know who is laying, and who's not. I can't monitor behavior because I only am able to make the trip to the barn 2x a week.

That being said, I was able to bring them all home yesterday. They are currently free ranging in my yard. But this brings me to my concern. My Buff Orpington hen was sick on Thursday morning, so I brought her home before I brought anyone else. She passed away Friday morning. She looked very weak, had trouble walking, slept all day, acted Egg Bound, but someone mentioned Marek's. When she finally died, she was lying limp on her side, eyes closed, just breathing. Very sad.

Now I'm concerned my flock has whatever she had. I've relocated them to my house in the mountains (they're back to free ranging now, and their old coop, which I never had issues with before). I'm thinking that the inability to free range for 3 months really hurt their immune systems. Not to mention there were 16 birds in a stall together. As I mentioned, the young roos have been rehomed, so now I'm back to 1 roo and 7 hens in my yard.

What should I do? Should I vaccinate for coccivac and marek's? Is it too late to save them, if that's what my Buff Orpington had? I read a thread already that was 17 pages long, and it just made my head spin.

Also, isn't there something I can add to their food or water also to help with this? I read that in the other thread, but like I said, it was too long for me to remember!!!!

Please help.

2. lovemychicks7

lovemychicks7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    im so sorry to hear that! i was a little confused though. Are you trying to treat for coccidiosis?

3. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    l really don't know what my hen died from. She was lethargic and not eating or drinking - seemed egg bound. But i found her on Thursday, and I don't know WHEN she started to show signs, because the last time I checked on them was Tuesday, and she seemed ok. I felt for an egg, and there was nothing. Not the typical Marek's symptoms until the end when she laid on her side, pretty much paralyzed, but at that point in time, her eyes were closed, and she was hours away from death. So it wasn't exactly like Marek's symptoms I've been reading about.

Can I vaccinate for all of the above at this point in time, is what i'm asking. . . I'm hoping it's not Marek's and I can do something about it!

Also, I'm hoping it helps that I was able to get my chickens out of the barn after 3 months confinement and back to their house & yard.

4. lovemychicks7

lovemychicks7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    it does help that they are free range now and no its never to late to vaccinate them...it couldnt hurt to try! i wish the best of luck to you and your chickens!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is too late to vaccinate for coccidiosis and Mareks disease, especially if a chicken has already died of Mareks. These 2 vaccines are given right after hatch, and both diseases are pretty much everywhere. Since there are 9 strains of coccidiosis, your chickens can be exposed to new ones they aren't immune to already every time they move somewhere different. The symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, puffing up, poor appetite, pale face, and diarrhea. The treatment is Corid (amprollium) for 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by