Vaccination on poultry

billiecoleman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Is there a vaccination I should give my 23 week old hens/one rooster? I'm a newby to raising chickens and reading everything I can, keeping chickens feed good food, clean water & keeping the coop clean. I have grit & calcium extra for them if they want it. What else should I be doing? I love to sit with them just before they go to roost. They are really special animals for sure!

Nope, there isn't any vaccination that your birds need at this age. Chickens are rarely vaccinated for many things, unlike dogs and cats. One vaccine that is usually a good idea is the Marek's vaccine, which is usually given at one day old. However, your birds are too old for that to be a good idea. Some chicken are vaccinated for diseases such as Laryngotracheitis and Fowl Pox. However, these vaccines are really only neccesary if your birds have had problems in the past or are commonly exposed to sources of the disease, such as if they go to poultry shows. Even then, those vaccines aren't all that neccesary. Most chickens do fine without any vaccinations.

Last edited:
Unless you live in the deep south or in a tropical region where fowl pox may be a problem, then I wouldn't vaccinate for anything. It would have been good to have gotten a Mareks vaccine when they were day olds, but it is too late now. Just keep your chickens away from other chickens, and keep other chicken people away from your property, and you may be able to prevent disease spread. I would not recommend getting more chickens from other people since that is a good way of bringing in diseases to your healthy flock. Worming your chickens with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer twice a year would be a good way to help keep them healthier. Dosage is 1/2 ml given orally to a standard size chicken, then repeat in 10 days. Toss out all eggs for a total of 24 days (14 days after last dose.)

Thank you so much! I find this web site so valuable and the people who help are "Angels"! Thank you all for taking the time to help! Billie

Back
Top Bottom