Vaccination ! ! !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kostapuleri, Feb 1, 2013.

1. kostapuleri

kostapuleri New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    hello ! ! ! i have 2 baby chicks they are 3 months old please tell me what vaccine i have to do ! ! !

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Many of us do absolutely nothing. You don’t have to do anything. However if you have unique circumstances, it may be prudent for you to do something.

Do you have any diseases in your flock? Is something really prevalent in your area?

Before I got my chickens I called my county extension agent (in the phone book under county government). He put me in touch with a professor that teaches chicken disease in the Poultry Science department at my state university. Not all extension agents are as good as mine so I don’t know what yours would do.

I had a good conversation with that professor. He is also on the chicken disease response team so he knows what is going on as far as chicken disease in this area. After discussing how I planned to manage my flock and what was prevalent in this area, I decided to not vaccinate for anything.

There was one reported case of Marek’s in this county in the previous two years. I did not consider that prevalent. I don’t show my chickens. That means they won’t be exposed to possible diseases plus you probably need certain checks or vaccinations to show. And some just might be prudent, like maybe fowl pox.

I keep a closed flock. That means the only way I add chickens to my flock is to hatch my own eggs, get eggs from trusted sources to hatch, or get chicks shipped in from an established hatchery. I don’t add other grown of growing chickens to my flock.

I have no idea what your risk tolerances are, what is prevalent in your area, or what your management practices are. There’s no way I’ll tell you that you have to do this or you can’t do that. It might be prudent for you to do something for your flock. I don’t know. That is your decision. Hopefully you can get something out of this rambling that will help you.

3. kostapuleri

kostapuleri New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    i vaccinate them with the new castle vaccine because the vet told me ! ! !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by