Vaccinations

m2wandc

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
The feedstore I bought my first two chicks from said they were vaccinated for Merek's (sp?) and I am feeding the medicated chick starter feed...

The two silkies I bought from a different feedstore didn't mention anything about vaccinations and I didn't even think to ask...just called them and they have no idea and don't think they are, because they never ordered vaccinated chicks or thought they could...(FYI ~ they seemed like numb nuts on the phone)

SOooooooooooooooooooo here are my questions:

1) What should I look for to keep my chicks healthy (both sets)

2) Can the vaccinated chicks get the non-vaccinated chicks sick or visa versa?

3) Can I do anything about it now? or is it too late?

4) What causes Merek's?

5) Please offer any suggestions, thoughts, etc re: having two that were vaccinated and two that weren't all together in one happy family coop....

Thanks!

anyone out there have some answers?

I want to put the 4 chickens together soon, but now not so sure what to do since two are vaccinated and two are not???

I would not worry about it. You know the chicks that are vaccinated will not give the merek's and they wont give it. So I wold not be worried about it at all.

Marek's disease is caused by a type of herpesvirus can be transmitted from an infected bird, and in rare cases, by the darkling beetle. The vaccine does not prevent the transmission of the disease. It prevents the tumors that are associated with the disease from forming. I would not be really concerned about it.

There are absolutely no worris here. Medicated feed is dosed at therapeutic levels to prevent coccidiosis (a protazoan parasite) and will have absolutely no affect on Marek's Disease (plus the fact that it's medicated with an antibiotic and antibiotics have no affect on viruses). Marek's Disease is a herpes virus found in all soil everywhere. Depending on where you live you will have a different strain. Symptoms are very broad, ranging from wing and leg paralysis, sudden death, and wasting away. Most birds are naturally immune and it generally isn't a serious problem (every source you read will say otherwise but trust me it isn't). Because it's found in the soil, it's safe to say that nearly every chicken that breathes has it, and it can survive in soil for up to 7 years. So don't bother trying to get rid of it. When you vaccinate for MD, you are giving the bird the LIVE turkey strain which is harmless and prevents birds from developing MD symptoms. Housing vaccinated and non vaccinated chicks together is perfectly safe, the turkey strain does not transmit the same way. Hope that answers your questions!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom