Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fasbendera, Oct 27, 2009.

1. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I have ordered my hens from McMurray and Ideal with a couple of drop offs that have been added in the past few years. I hatched out 3 Mille Fleur on 8/21. Do they need to be vaccinated and if so is it to late? I would hate to lose them to Mareks or something as adults.

The oldest in my flock is hens in my flock are 4 the youngest are 10 weeks and 8 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I like to have chicks vaccinated for Marek's. You would have to call the hatchery and see if it's too late to change your order to vaccinated babies. Remember, chicks vaccinated for Marek's need a strict quarantine for at least 10 days. Sanitize your brooder and all equipment before using it. Have your brooder in the house or in a building that has not housed older birds. Wash your hands before handling the chicks. Never wear the same clothes around the chicks that you wore out to the coop.

Oops! I reread your post. It seems that you already have your chicks. It is probably too late to vaccinate.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks. I didn't even think of them not being vaccinated until I read the Mille Fleur thread and someone is losing their rooster and the vet said it is most likely Mareks. Her other birds are OK. Oh well I thought it might be to late maybe I'll make a call tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I get all mt hatchery birds except the meaties vaccinated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by