Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dodgersmomma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    I got some chickens a while back and I didnt even think about vaccinating them. I have never had chickens before so can someone tell me what I should get? The hens all are egg layers and the rooster is just there for when I want to hatch eggs. My mom is going to TSC so something there please?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    No vaccines here. [​IMG]

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't vaccinate either. Had 54 BRs that we raised from day old - now sold off down to the size flock
    we intend to keep - 24 pullets and 3 roos and all are very healthy. We don't plan on bringing in any
    new chickens though as a precaution against diseases.

5. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious about vaccines too. apparently if you feed them the medicated feed then you don't have to vaccinate other wise it is recommended to give them the coccidiosis vaccine. I'm going to read up some more though because i don't want to give my chickens medicated feed. It has antibiotics and some feed, I believe have an arsenic base put in for faster growth and for battling internal parasites. Parasites can get into the birds crops because of the low acid or PH in them. I'm going to use alot of the diatomaceous earth on the floor for keeping the chicken house from getting damp and parasitic. Diatomaceous earth kills bugs and is natural, coming from the ocean.[​IMG]

6. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I just found out that the hatchery that i get mine from are already vaccinated when i get them. This apparently means i don't have to give them medicated feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by