Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HarrysHut, Nov 5, 2013.

1. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    I've noticed that a lot of people talk about accusations on here which lead me to question should chickens have any vaccinations when you buy them??

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I'm not a chicken scientist - but the only vaccination I'm aware of (though I am sure there is more than one) is for Marek's disease, and the chick has to be injected with 24 hours of hatching.

I've never sought to purchase vaccinated birds. But when I do purchase, I look for healthy ones.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Not all chickens are vaccinated, but most birds from hatcheries and other larger dealers are. Marek's Disease is the most commonly vaccinated for, with Newcastle-Bronchitis, Laryangotracheitis, Coccidiosis, and Fowl Pox being others. Vaccination is not always cost-effective for small flocks, since vaccines usually come in huge 1,000 dose bottles.

If there is one disease that should be vaccinated for (if you are going to vaccinate), it would be Marek's disease. Marek's is a very common disease that is everywhere; if you have chickens, you might as well assume that they have been exposed to Marek's. Many birds are resistant, but those that are not resistant can show any number of symptoms and slowly die. Because of this, I vaccinate chicks that I hatch for Marek's Disease, and try to purchase vaccinated birds. But I do have some unvaccinated birds in my flock. Another helpful vaccine is either the Larangotracheitis or Newcastle-Bronchitis vaccine, as respiratory diseases like those are common and often severe.

So in conclusion, you don't need to vaccinate chicks. But if you can have a hatchery/place you're getting them from vaccinate them, it is a good idea to do so.

4. HarrysHut

HarrysHut Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    My chickens are now 5 months old is it too late to vaccinate for mareks

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You could vaccinate them, but the vaccine would probably be ineffective. Once birds are older than a few days, they have usually been exposed to the Marek's Disease virus (at that point, the vaccine won't work).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by