Vaccine question for chicks

tlouiselle

Chirping
Mar 15, 2015
My chicks are on my screened porch and are 7 weeks old now. The breeder that I bought them from gives them their Mareks vaccine when she moves them to her barn (at this are) and then when they are ready to go outside with the other chickens she gives the fowl pox vaccine.

The chicks are old enough for both vaccines. I want to let them out in a pen to play on nice days but would like to vaccinate them before they head out. The members of my flock who are unvaccinated had fowl pox about a month ago, while the vaccinated ones were fine. I don't want to risk it wit hthese guys.

1. Can they have both vaccines at the same time or should I wait between vaccines? How long should I wait?

2. If they have t owait between vaccines and I order both at the same time to save on a cooler and shipping, will the 2nd vaccine be safe in my refrigerator until they are ready to have it?

Normally mareks vac. Is given at day old for the 1st time at least and I belive fowl pox is given at 7 weeks old and I wouldn't give both at the same time because its stressful on the birds

Okay. Yes, I heard about the Marek's and day old chicks...I was talking to people this last weekend at a show about it. So I emailed the breeder who gives the Mareks. My chicks were about 4 weeks old when I bought them. She said she had not yet given the Marek's to them when I bought them. She doesn't give it to them until they are moved from the porch to a room in her barn.

I am confused with the whole age and Marek's...is it not a good idea to give it to chicks older than a day? I keep getting told different things.

Im not sure I have never vaccinated chick myself for mareks I normally have the hatchery do it for me .
The best thing to do is read whats on the bottle of mareks vaccine. That well tell you the ages to vaccinate

Sometimes the best time to do something is when you can, not necessarily when the book says is best.

I don’t vaccinate mine but I don’t have those diseases in my flock. I also keep a closed flock, only adding chickens from a major hatchery or getting hatching eggs. Mine are not that “at-risk”. You have fowl pox so vaccinations are in order.

Marek’s is a little harder. The Marek’s vaccine is actually turkey Marek’s. It does not stop the chickens from getting chicken Marek’s but it stops the lesions that cause the harm from forming. The turkey Marek’s is not contagious to chickens. You are not introducing Marek’s to your flock by vaccinating them with turkey Marek’s. That‘s a common misconception. It is entirely possible for a chicken that has been vaccinated to get chicken Marek’s and be a carrier, they just won’t show the symptoms.

The reason they normally vaccine day-old chicks for Marek’s is that the vaccine needs time to work. If they are exposed to both Turkey Marek’s and Chicken Marek’s at the same time, it may be too late. I can’t remember how long it takes for that Turkey Marek’s vaccine to work, a week to ten days I think. So isolate your chicks after you give them the vaccine.

Whether or not you vaccinate for Marek’s is a personal decision. If you know your flock has Marek’s or if your flock will be exposed to other flocks that might have Marek’s it’s probably a very good thing. It is quite possible for an unvaccinated chicken to have Marek’s and not show any symptoms yet still be a carrier, let alone one that is vaccinated. If that breeder shows chickens I can easily see why they vaccinate for both diseases.

Since I don’t vaccinate I can’t answer your questions. Hopefully this will give you a better background to make a good decision. Good luck!

Thank you. You did help VERY much :) We live in Florida and they say everyone who vaccinates will vaccinate for Mareks and fowl pox here. The breeders I have gone to highly recommend it. I am anti vaccine for my dogs/cats...but since I have not even had chickens for a year and have already had to deal with fowl pox...I feel more at ease vaccinating them. I am hoping to show in the future as well so even more of a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom