Vaccines and medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lesa, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I did a lot of research before I got my chickens last spring and decided that for the small fee that McMurray charged I would have all the chicks vaccinated. I also read on this sight that it is really a good idea to feed medicated chick starter- so I bought some. When I picked up the chicks there was info in the box that stated if you fed medicated feed, you lose your vaccination protection... Well, I wasn't not going to feed those hungry chicks, so I just went ahead and fed the medicated. Luckily, all my hens are beautiful, healthy egg layers now. I wish some of you experts would address this - since I know many people will be ordering chicks soon. ( Okay, I admit it, I was on the McMurray sight today!!) To vaccinate or not- medicated feed or not?? Thanks for the insight-

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The only vaccine affected by medicated feed is the cocci vaccine. If it is the mericks vaccine, doesn't matter. Even if you give medicated feed to birds vaccinated for cocci, they will get the help building the immunity to the cocci protozoa with the feed and just not the vaccine. Either way, the birds need to be exposed to the protozoa cocci to build an immunity so some dirt from the run to dust in while in the brooder is a good way to get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by