Vaccines for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cdeans, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hi,
    I recetly bought 55 chicks from a guy which we were under the assumption had there vaccines. Well some have been dying and I was worried so I emailed him. I learned non were vaccinated, only on medicated food. He said vaccines for them are a waste of money. Does anyone have any ideas to what shots they can get at this point? And how to give them. They are about 10 weeks old. Thanks!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You could vaccinate them now for Infectious Bronchitis/Newcastle and Coryza if you wish. I wouldn't do both at the same time, however. I bought my vaccination for the Coryza from www.jefferslivestock.com They have the best shipping costs and I only vaccinated because of my flock having Coryza this past summer. The Coryza vaccine is given through injection and the IB/Newcastle is given via the water (which is tricky) or eyes or nostrils. If I were you, I just do the IB/Newcastle.

A lot of people do not vaccinate their birds and their birds all do fine. In the end, it really is your choice.

[​IMG] !!!

3. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just bought the Newcastle/Bronchitis vaccine and had trouble with the instructions of how much I'm supposed to put to a gallon of water and how much powdered milk to use. Would you by chance know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by