Vaccuum food sealers...got one you like?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by snewman, Jan 28, 2010.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I'm starting to consider buying a food sealer to improve the quality of all the meat and garden produce I've started freezing. I'm doing some online research, but it doesn't seem like there is a consensus on a good, reasonably priced food sealer. Does anyone out there have one that they love (or hate), or have any thoughts on them at all?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    love mine, its a food saver

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I also have a food saver. I think they make one now that you can seal liquids with. That would be wonderful!

I really love mine, but the trick is to have the food dry when you seal it. This can be done by letting any moisture dry off in the refrigerator, or by freezing individual pieces you plan on sealing and then putting into bag and sealing it.
    When I use it to store fresh meat, I fold a paper towel over and over until it is about 1 inch wide. I then put the meat in the bag, put the paper towel in the bag across the opening (making sure it goes all the way across the bag. Then I seal it. The paper towel will absorb the liquid the vacuum pulls out of the meat and it won't ruin the seal.

I love it for chips. The chip bags seal great and there is a feature to use without the vacuum, just to seal. Keeps chips fresh!

Jean

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Foodsaver. I love it. I buy the cheaper, better-quality off-brand bags at Fleet Farm.

5. big momma

big momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    bought mine off ebay

6. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    We got our Foodsaver as a gift from my step son. I absolutely love it! I also buy the cheaper rolls of bags.

7. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We have a food saver and it does not seal. Maybe 1 out of 3 bags will seal. It is as if it does not get hot enough to melt the bag.
    When it works it is great. I should probably replace it.

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Yep, that's when I replaced mine - after 6 yrs. Now on our 2nd one, and happy with the new model.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a Seal-a-meal. I got it at a garage sale for $3! So far so good. I haven't tried other brands, but if you can find a used one like I did, go for it! [​IMG]

10. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Love my foodsaver, best investment I made this year... well that and the food dehydrator... hmm... maybe the chickens? Ok I lied it's the SECOND best investment this year, the chickens get first place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by